Sunday, September 18, 2011

Off to Illinois

I have not been very diligent about updating the blog, but I promise to be better from here on out. Tomorrow I leave on my long-awaited and long-anticipated trip to Illinois! I am all packed, with everything lined up by the garage to be loaded in the morning. You would think I was going for a year, rather than a little over three weeks! Two suitcases, two crates filled with binders, books and files, a camera bag, my techie backpack (you know, the laptop, i Pad, Nook and all of their cords and such!) and, of course, a bag of munchies for the 6 day drive to get there. Oh yes, and my two cases of CD's in case I get tired of books on tape and XM radio. I have maps and books on Route 66, with places picked out to stop and investigate. I'll try to add a little blurb every day to let everyone know where I am and what I saw.

As for genealogy news, I have visited two cemeteries and taken tombstone rubbings from my parents' marker and my grandfather's head stone. (I posted pictures on the cemeteries page, if you're interested) I have found quite a few of the Illinois ancestors listed in cemetery listings online, so I actually know where to go to find them. Every time I came across a name it was very exciting for me. You have to remember that I never knew any of these people, and never even knew about them until very recently. Every time I see a name, or a picture of a headstone, I think "They really are real! These people really did exist and they are my family!". So, pardon my enthusiasm, but I am eager to go "meet" my grandparents, and great grandparents, and begin to put together an idea of the life they lead.

One of the other exciting finds that I made was that on both my mother's side - Mom's mother's mother's line - and my dad's side - Dad's father's mother's mother's line - there is a link to the Revolutionary War. We have "certified patriots" on both sides of the family who fought in the war. To find that I come from not one, but two families who sacrificed their lives and families to create this country awes me. I don't know what words to use to describe my feelings, other than awed. It doesn't really change who I am, but gives me more depth, maybe. I am proud to be able to say I am connected to people who were present at the birth of our nation.

Well, that is it for tonight. There have been other findings in the past month, but I will catch up on those at a later date. I am off to finish the last few things, then sleep, then up early to hit the road. Next post will be from Gallup, New Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment