Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 4 Illinois Journey

Hello from Baxter Springs, Kansas! This morning I was in Oklahoma City in pouring rain, and tonight I am in Baxter Springs with a lovely cool, clear evening sky. How marvelous! The drive here was relatively easy, especially once it stopped raining. The countryside was full of trees, farms and fields of cows and horses. The sky was beautiful as well, with changing clouds, and the sun peeking out every now and then. Lots of fun silters - that's sun rays filtering through the clouds, for those of you who don't know Caz-speak!

I drove more of Route 66 today, and found some lovely two lane country roads winding through fields, and found the rainbow bridge outside of Baxter Springs:
Isn't it lovely? I missed the turn to go the direction that lets you drive over it, so Just had to drive past and get photos. Tomorrow I will turn at the right point and drive over it!

I am staying at a little bed and breakfast in Baxter Springs - The Little Brick Inn - which is situated above the restaurant Cafe on the Route. The building that they are in used to be the bank, and it was once robbed by Jesse James. Imagine that! The Cafe has been on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and is really good! I had dinner there this evening, and I get breakfast in the morning. Can hardly wait!
 Nothing else earth shattering. Very nice, quiet day. I drove around this charming little community, stopped in at the museum where they have a wonderful collection of Civil War stuff - uniforms, weapons, documents - it was amazing. There also is a log cabin out in the back, and a tank from WW II.  An interesting mix, sort of like the community! I also went to the Route 66 information center, across the street from the Inn, and signed my name on their wall. They have thousands of names on their wall, some from Europe but most from the US - all people who wanted to "travel the Route".  Now my name is added for posterity!

Well - that's it for tonight. Tomorrow it is on to St. Clair, MO, the last stop before Illinois. Getting closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment