Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 3 of Illinois Journey

Today I drove along some of the old Route 66 from Amarillo eastward!


Sad to say, it was nothing special! after about an hour of ruts in the road, dead gas stations and stores, I gave up and went back to I-40! I know there are more interesting parts yet to come, and will hop on and off tomorrow on the way to Kansas. I have three or four places earmarked to check out.

The change from Texas to Oklahoma was almost as dramatic as from New Mexico to Texas. This amazes me - the geology of the land does not know where one state stops and the next begins! However, there really is a difference. Oklahoma has rich, red earth, which contrasts with the green of fields and trees. There are a lot of farms, houses and small ranches on the road, which is new. The area has small hills to break up the landscape - gone is the flat go-on-for-ever land!



I stopped at a rest stop for a stretch break after about 2 hours, then headed on the way - total trip took about 4 1/2 hours. Much better today! Today's motel is nothing special - a nice, clean room, but without any personality, so no pictures of it. There are, however, some incredible homes in the area:


Of course I had to drive around and drool!!

The Webinar on Illinois that I spoke about yesterday was actually really good. Packed with information - so much that I couldn't take notes, or I missed what the guy was saying. They are emailing out a PDF and copy of the video to everyone tomorrow, so I'll have all of the resources that were mentioned. Most of it was a review for me, as far as internet sources and county/state repositories and information. However the section on Illinois history was great, as was the review of the different regions, and where most of the population came from for each region. There also were a few new internet sources I didn't know about, so I am eager to get the PDF and explore!

So that's it for tonight. I am off to watch some TV, then sleep! Tomorrow - Baxter Springs, Kansas!

No comments:

Post a Comment