Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cemetery Day

My goal today was to find the Evans Cemetery in Middletown, and hopefully find the resting place of Charles B. Keller, my great grandfather. Well, I had a lovely drive along some beautiful county roads, through miles upon miles of corn fields, but no cemetery. I double checked directions from Google, my iPhone and Phoebe - my navigation system on the car - and tried from 2 different directions, but still came up at the same corn field. This cemetery supposedly sits at 470 County Rd. 1100 N, but I sure can't find it. I'll need further help tomorrow - the county courthouse for this county is just down the road from me.

My next goal was to get groceries, which I didn't do yesterday (I drove around town instead, ogling houses and admiring kids riding bikes all over everywhere). That was relatively easy, and I even managed a bag of non-perishables for the food drive that the high school was doing.
Next was to take a test drive to Jacksonville, which I was figuring would be about 90 minutes. Well, it took an hour, so I was really happy! Then I though I might as well take a look at Jacksonville East Cemetery, since it was Sunday and everything else I needed was closed. So - I found it! Not bad being 1 for 2 on the cemetery search. So I went in and took out my Jacksonville East folder, clipboard and camera and went in search of all the Hendersons, Howards and Kellers that are buried there. Couldn't find a one! I have a very old copy of the cemetery plan, and it really doesn't match up to the roads that are there, so I couldn't tell what was what. After an hour of wandering and reading headstones I decided that I need to come back after I have had some help finding section N303 on the map. So I will find someone somewhere that can point me in the right direction. Unfortunately, there is no office building on site, so I'll start at the courthouse.
 
So that was my day. It was productive to a point, but not that satisfying. Now I am going through all my lists and making a game-plan for the week. Hopefully I will have better news as the days go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment