Friday, October 7, 2011

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A OKLAHOMA!

As I left Baxter Springs this morning, I gassed up and hit good old 66, determined to follow it for a while. Well - I did pretty well. I managed to follow the signs, and read the map, for about 2 hours, with only 3 or 4 wrong turns!

I followed a trailer of cows for a while...thank God they didn't drop anything!

I drove through lovely old, well-worn towns, with signal lights that hang in the middle of the intersections!
Then I had the option of taking the "original" Route 66, with some of the "first generation pavement", or the updated 1950's road. I opted for the original. So, for 9 miles, I drove this...
The original, 9 feet wide, one-lane pavement, with gravel now adorning it's surface. Top speed - 15 mph. It took a while to go those 9 miles, but it was really cool!

Then I remembered about Oklahoma's red earth, and fell in love with it all over again.

Tomorrow, the crazy lady in the blue Santa Fe with the California plates, one hand on the wheel and the other holding the camera, treks across Texas and into Tucumcari, NM!

No comments:

Post a Comment