Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Leaving Lincoln

I headed out about 10 this morning, just in time to stop by the quilt shop in town that has been calling my name. If I were to move here, this is where I would want to spend a lot of time - and probably a lot of money, too!
...and some other favorite spots in Lincoln...
my daily 7 am date
the house my heart wants to buy
all dressed up for Halloween
the Library
Those are some of my favorite sights in Lincoln, and I will miss them all. I know it is time to go home, but I am very sad to leave. This place definitely has a magic to it, and all of the people are so very and truly nice, it amazes me. This is absolutely a place to which I will return.

Today is on to St. Charles, MO, a place my son-in-law says I could live. Well, the historic area anyway! He is absolutely correct!! This actually seems to have a New England feel to me, rather than a Mid-West feel. Nothing wrong with that! Just surprising - I wasn't expecting that.
I got there about 2:30 and walked the whole length of Main Street, then back down the other side.  I window shopped (and really shopped a little) until the shops closed at 5, then I stopped at Little Hills Winery and Restaurant for dinner. My mother used to have a collection of glass bird Christmas ornaments that clipped on to the ends of the tree branches, which I have now, only they are very old and mostly dilapidated. There is a Holiday Shoppe here that has some that are almost the same! I bought six of them for this Christmas, so I have a start to replacing the collection. Unfortunately, the Popcorn Shoppe that used to be here and sold various flavors to shake on your popcorn, has closed. No-one in the stores on either side of where it was located seemed to know what had happened to them. So sad how many small business are losing their grasp on life...

Tomorrow I venture on to Baxter Springs, KS, and back to Cafe on the Route and The Little Brick Inn. I am bound and determined to find the two places on Route 66 that I wanted to stop at last time, and couldn't find. I have maps spread out now that I will study hard, and figure out where I went wrong! But before I leave the St. Louis area, I have to go to Ted Drewes for frozen custard. Hmm...since this place doesn't serve breakfast in the morning, and I very virtuously skipped ice cream tonight, I guess I'll make up for both with frozen custard for breakfast. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment