Saturday, October 8, 2011

Erick OK to Tucumcari NM

I really didn't have much to say about Erick - the town is basically non-existent. I think there are two gas stations and a Subway, two motels and a burger/steak joint. That's about it. But, the motel where I stayed, while your usual run of the mill place, was run by an extremely nice East Indian family. The husband is on duty in the evenings, and was genuinely nice when checking me in. He said he thought the storm that had been hovering all day was about to hit, and if I wanted to get dinner, the place across the street was very basic but good (the burger/steak joint), but that I should go soon and get back so that I didn't get caught in the thunder and lightning. Then he said breakfast was from 6 to 9 in the lobby area, and that bacon and eggs were cooked fresh for everyone. Yeah, right I say to myself. That means a big warming tray with stuff in it and you serve yourself. Then I went to the room, and was pleasantly surprised to find it very clean, new mattress, a very comfortable big, sink-in chair to sit and read (which is exactly what I did), clean bathroom, and good TV set. So all the boxes are checked! So I settled in for the night, and actually slept like a log for the first time in 2 or 3 nights.

When I woke up this morning, to a large clap of thunder, and looked out the window, the parking lot was flooded and the downspouts were gushing! The rain was so intense that I could hear it pounding on the roof, and I was on the first floor of two floors!
I took my shower, got dressed and headed down to the lobby for my breakfast. I was greeted by the wife, who manages check-outs and breakfast, and asked how I liked my eggs, and how many pieces of bacon did I want. I said "scrambled, and two, please", and she said "go get your plate, and serve yourself toast, or coffee cake or a waffle and I'll bring you your eggs and bacon." Wow! So I did, and she did. Great breakfast! There were four other people seated when I came in and by the time I left there were another 6, and she was still cooking and serving as I went back to my room. Very nicely done, Premier Inn of Erick, OK! I hung around for about another hour and a half, to let the worst of the storm go by (I hoped), and then loaded up quickly and headed on my way. It poured and lightninged and thundered for about an hour and a half, and then stopped. I could see the line way ahead in the distance where the clouds stopped and the sunshine began, so I knew the worst was over.
Oh yes - the road work followed me here, as well. I forgot to say that yesterday was pretty good - lots of shoulder work, but no lane closures. No so today!
I arrived safely in Tucumcari after about 4 hours of driving - not too bad, considering the storm. I also gained an hour with the time change - woohooo! Tucumcari is interesting. It is a major spot on the Route, according to many of the guidebooks, and the main strip - Tucumcari Ave, or Historical Route 66 - is pretty cool, with a great many of the original neon signs still up and supposedly functioning. I'll check it out tonight. The Blue Swallow Motel, where I am staying, is considered by many to be the "Jewel of the Route". The couple who own it now just bought it this summer, and moved from Michigan, and are restoring it quite nicely. As a matter of fact, as I arrived today, they were moving all of the furniture in the office/lobby so that it was in the place that it used to be when the original owner - Lillian Redman - had it. They moved the counter first, in the corner, with the shelves behind, just like they had seen in pictures! Then the chairs got moved to flank the fireplace, and the other stuff just kind of fell into place. It does look good, I must say, although I have no idea what the old pictures look like. It was too early to check in, so I ran around town for a bit, when to the local BBQ place they had recommended, had an awesome pulled pork sandwich for lunch (and, I think, dinner!), drove around to see some of the murals that are painted everywhere, went to the Dinosaur Museum, then back to check in. By then they had the lobby complete, and I checked into my charming room. This place is very cool! Check out the garage...
Pretty cool, eh?!

So now I am going to post this, them go sit outside, where it is a lovely 78 degrees, with a cold drink and read my book. Tomorrow is off to Gallup, and the grand El Rancho Hotel where apparently all the movie stars used to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment